Thursday, April 13, 2006

First 10 Verbs: A Meme


Owwwww! Next time you tag someone, Mr. Crymes, try Post-It notes instead of nails, mmmkay?

Where were we? Ah, yes, verbs.

Sometimes we writers get lazy. We assume that verbs are helpful for such crucial endeavors as screenwriting, sudoku, or graduating from college, but this is not always the case. In her first-year composition class at Penn State, my wife had the pleasure of doing peer reviews for one of her, well, peers. Thing is, the fellow wrote his essays without using verbs. Nary a one. He’s now making millions as a professional basketball player.

But I digress. Here, then, are the first 10 verbs of my action-figure epic, Disaster Man.

1. roars
2. billow
3. looms
4. fire
5. explodes
6. glances
7. looses
8. sweeps
9.shifts
10. whines

Wow, I like these. Wagnerian, indeed almost Bruckheimerian in their operatic majesty. Now let’s see what the list would look like if I had followed the aforementioned sportsman’s stylistic technique:

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Plainly, I cannot match his economy of language. In fact, I suspect that even Hemingway or Carver would be up against the wall. I wonder if either had a good outside shot.

And now, a crisp bounce pass to The Moviequill.

5 Comments:

Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Hey Ry, I noticed you had tagged me, thanks! I'll add you to my links.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Ryan Rasmussen said...

Good show, Pat. See ya 'round the 'sphere!

11:10 AM  
Blogger greg said...

Hey Ryan...

Just found your blog off of Patrick's. I enjoy it. I'll stop by more often...

If you get a chance...

Stop by mine and say hi.

webofliesanddeceit.blogspot.com

I'm a writer with a film just going into production.

Thanks!

Greg

4:51 PM  
Blogger aggiebrett said...

Oh, and guess which pathetical wad of fluff started this damned-fool "10 Verbs" thing?

That's right.

You're lookin' at him.

No, no-- don't say anything. The look on your face is thanks enough.
.
.
.
B

1:55 PM  
Blogger Thomas Crymes said...

No verbs? Huh.

No.

No.

I just can't get my head around that.

An athlete whose livelihood is a verb. I'd tell him how thick the irony was in that if I had reason to believe he didn't think i was talking about a ferrous metal.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home