Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Reduction In Force

This morning, while enjoying a much-needed vacation, I learned of my company’s imminent RIF. I wish I could say that Corporate saw fit to sponsor a Reading Is Fundamental program, but the truth, as the title gives away, is closer to a disturbance in the energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.

I learned from the VP I report to that my direct report had been let go. Later, while depositing checks at the credit union whose software our company creates, I ran into my former manager. He, too, was gone.

Now, more than ever, I am grateful for this work which allows me to support my family, travel the world, and develop my ability to write stories worthy of the screen. It is no small thing.

While I was spared in this reduction in force, none of us is spared the uncertainty of these or any other times. It is a hard thing to see friends and colleagues, journeymen and veterans alike, face sudden challenges that were not of their own devising. To them, to the rest of my fellow workmates, and to those unknown brothers and sisters bravely facing the logic of the bottom line, my prayer is that each of you will come through this period a little stronger, a little wiser, and be the bearer and creator of new opportunities and meaningful work.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Elindomiel said...

Hello there! I noticed that you list Eivør Pálsdóttir as your favourite music! :D That's great! How did you hear about her?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Ryan Rasmussen said...

Hi, Elindomiel. I saw Eivør perform at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival a few years ago. See my post "You Are Burming Me."

Thanks for stopping by!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home